We can’t help it—we become giddy with excitement when new, innovative products hit the market. Geeking out and reading all about the studies and research on the most recent products to hit the market fills us with joy. We know that making solid, research-based decisions on which products to use in our hospital will help your pet live a longer, happier, and healthier life. Here are three of the newest products we’ve embraced:
- Redonyl Ultra is a nutraceutical for dogs and cats and is used to support skin health. As part of a multimodal approach to atopic dermatitis, this supplement bolsters skin function, providing an effective barrier against allergens. Seasonal allergies can wreak havoc on a pet, leading to irritated and itchy skin.
In addition to essential fatty acids and biotin, these soft chews contain a concentrated source of palmitoylethanolamide (PEA), a naturally occurring lipid that boosts skin health. This lipid acts against the mechanisms within the body contributing to inflammation and pain. The PEA in Redonyl is ultra-micronized, the only animal health nutraceutical containing this substance, which improves distribution and diffusion throughout the body. Ultra-micronized PEA (PEA-um) is much more effective than micronized PEA. In pets with atopic dermatitis, PEA-um has been shown to:
- Reduce itching
- Decrease skin lesions
- Improve quality of life
Redonyl also includes biotin, a substance that works to synthesize those additional fatty acids and support optimal skin condition. Creating these products to be as allergy-friendly as possible, Redonyl chews are formulated with a hypoallergenic base, excluding wheat, beef, and chicken, which are the top three food allergens. Most pets suffering from one allergy, such as an inhalant allergy, also fall victim to other allergies, like food allergies.
Redonyl Ultra chews are an excellent addition to the other tools we use to combat allergic reactions.
- EZ-CHEW Joint Support is a joint supplement for dogs with osteoarthritis. Arthritis occurs in pets when cartilage degenerates and new bone forms at the joint margins. Joint supplements can prevent the onset of joint diseases, and make pets already suffering from them more comfortable. This tasty chew supplement works to alleviate arthritis pain by restructuring cartilage, promoting normal joint function, and acting as a natural anti-inflammatory. Packing a strong punch, this chew contains a wealth of ingredients known to aid in joint health:
- Glucosamine—Derived from marine animal tissues, provides the building block for cartilage
- Chondroitin sulfate—Naturally comes from ox or cow cartilage, slows down enzymes that are destructive to joints, enhances glucosamine
- Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA)—Omega-3 fatty acid found in cold-water, fatty fish
- Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA)—Omega-3 fatty acid obtained from maternal milk, fish oil, or algae oil
- DI-alpha tocopherol acetate (Vitamin E)—A vitamin with antioxidant properties, protects the body from damage caused by free radicals
- Methylsulfonylmethane—Protects cartilage from deterioration
- Manganese—Required for strong, healthy ligament development and maintenance
Chock-full of these powerful natural anti-inflammatories and cartilage building blocks, EZ-CHEW Joint Support helps maintain joint lubrication, mobility, and flexibility, and may reduce discomfort from daily activities and inflammation.
- Liquid Gabapentin is used as a pain reliever and anti-anxiety medication in dogs and cats. Our normal stock of Gabapentin included tablets and capsules, but compounding this medication into a liquid form makes it much easier to give to smaller pets, including cats, who are notoriously difficult to pill.
Gabapentin is an excellent medication to help take the edge off for stressed cats and dogs prior to their veterinary visits, before traveling or having house guests, before getting nail trims, and more. It allows our veterinary team to calmly and comfortably provide care for your pet while reducing her fear, stress, and anxiety.
Think one of these products may help change your pet’s life? Schedule an appointment to discuss all the ways we can help your furry companion.